Match Play Events Open Thread

Put a slightly slower playing machine in the tournament and your players won’t even notice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding arenas changed

The process of adding arenas to a tournament got a make-over to work like the new flow for adding players. Instead of two confusing lists, there’s not a button which open a dialog.

In the dialog you can browse your own arenas of course. But you can also search for just about any pinball machine out there! It’s a pretty forgiving search – for example searching for afm will give you Attack From Mars.

6 Likes

@haugstrup Thanks, as always, for your software! We used it for Bat City Open’s two events this weekend, and it made it possible to run smoothly.

Only two pieces of feedback:

1. As already addressed and responded earlier in this thread by others… during Finals, the desktop version would frequently hang on the Player Order selection screen when trying to click Submit. Thankfully it is just a quick cancel, and having to re-drag the player names around to get the order locked in again.

2. I apologize in advance if this has been brought up elsewhere… Any plans in the works to add in alternate restricted division Standings into MP? Such as B Division standings, and/or Novice division standings. Given how each player’s MP player profile is often linked to their IFPA #, it might be very seamless (from the TD perspective) to simply pick a ranking threshold, and then let all the behind-the-scenes software comparison of each player’s rank to the threshold determine whether they’re included in the B Div rankings, etc. Of course, I assume that all that behind-the-scenes software work to pull this off is not easy. :wink:

Thanks again for MP!

1 Like

I’m happy to hear your events went well!

Ugh, I have to get that fixed. I think I know when it happens but not why it happens.

Calculating separate standings for b/c/d/e/novice divisions should be fairly straight-forward. And if division restrictions are purely based on IFPA ranking or MP rating then the rest is pretty straight-forward as well.

It becomes time-consuming if TDs should be able to arbitrarily assign a player to a specific division. The hard part is coming up with a user interface where TDs can add players unencumbered but still add division restrictions afterwards.

Would you mind adding this idea to https://matchplay.uservoice.com/ ?

2 Likes

With standardized arenas, you could compute someone’s player rating based on machine era, (e.g., EM rating, SS rating, Williams rating, etc.)

Ps: the new arena feature is awesome!!!

1 Like

There will be a lot more opportunities with arenas in the not-so-distant future…

1 Like

when running a tournament yesterday, though i can’t remember if it was the add player or add arena (both great now btw!), on my computer i had to click on the text field box again after adding one to be able to type again. I am not sure if there is a way to keep that text box active after adding, reducing the amount of back and forth with the clicking? :slight_smile:
I think the “paste” option of an IFPA number was not working on the number pad if you select “IFPA” for adding a player
All very minor, great as usual! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree - i think it is the “add Player” that requires you to re-click after each player is added instead of returning you to a place where you can just add another player without a click

@hisokajp @genex Yup it was the player search. I’ve fixed that oversight now.

And you can now paste numbers into the keypad. If you paste a number the keypad will automatically submit right away to save you a click. Will work like that anywhere the keypad is visible (also when submitting scores for example)

1 Like

A-MA-ZING!

Minor thing I noticed when testing out the new arena feature – shouldn’t it be legacy of the beast, not legend of the beast?

This shows you how much I know about Iron Maiden. Should be att fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is Progressive Strikes? Is that 4-player groups, 3x for 4th, 2x for 3rd, 1x for 2nd? If there’s a 3-player group, just 2x for 3rd and 1x for 2nd?

Correct in all accounts but I feel like IFPA could use actual games played by the winner and simplify the submission of all knockout tournaments :wink:

Bring back the intentional losing of matches to extend the tournament and increase the TGP value … i like it :slight_smile:

Why does it take until 64 players to have a 3 strike event be worth 100%?

I am guessing because you need to reach at least 13 rounds in a strike format in order to reach 26 TGP, in four player groups that would be 13 rounds of play. (13x2=26).

Someone must have calculated that 64 players in a three strike format is the cutoff to reach this many rounds played.

I’ve played at least 13 rounds in a 3 strike tournament with way less than 64 players before. I could be misunderstanding though. If you play 13 rounds you get 100%, but if less than that, it’s based on number of players for strikes events?

TGP Guide is your friend :slight_smile:

3 Strike Knockout

Best-of-1 Matches (2 players with 1 strike per match)
4 players –> 6 games towards TGP
5 players –> 7 games towards TGP
6-7 players –> 8 games towards TGP
8-14 players –> 9 games towards TGP
15-23 players –> 10 games towards TGP
24-31 players –> 11 games towards TGP
32-57 players –> 12 games towards TGP
58-87 players –> 13 games towards TGP
88-128 players –>14 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (3 player matches – 2nd/3rd place get strikes – receives 1.5X bonus for 3-player games)
6-9 players –> 10 games towards TGP
10-11 players –> 11 games towards TGP
12-26 players –> 12 games towards TGP
27-52 players –> 14 games towards TGP
53-108 players –> 15 games towards TGP
109-242 players –> 17 games towards TGP
243-512 players –> 18 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (3 player matches – 3rd place get strike – receives 1.5X bonus for 3-player games)
6 players –> 11 games towards TGP
7 players –> 13 games towards TGP
8 players –> 14 games towards TGP
9 players –> 16 games towards TGP
10-11 players –> 17 games towards TGP
12-15 players –> 18 games towards TGP
16-19 players –> 20 games towards TGP
20-25 players –> 21 games towards TGP
26-34 players –> 23 games towards TGP
35-44 players –> 24 games towards TGP
45 players –> 26 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (4 player matches – 2nd/3rd/4th place get strikes – receives 2X bonus for 4-player games)
8-9 players –> 12 games towards TGP
10-30 players –> 14 games towards TGP
31-84 players –> 16 games towards TGP
85-254 players –> 18 games towards TGP
255-512 players –> 20 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (4 player matches – 3rd/4th place get strikes – receives 2X bonus for 4-player games)
8-14 players –> 18 games towards TGP
15-23 players –> 20 games towards TGP
24-31 players –> 22 games towards TGP
32-57 players –> 24 games towards TGP
58 players –> 26 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (4 player matches – 4th place get strikes – receives 2X bonus for 4-player games)
8 players –> 23 games towards TGP
9 players –> 25 games towards TGP

Best-of-3 Matches (2 players with 1 strike per match)
4 players –> 15 games towards TGP
5 players –> 18 games towards TGP
6 players –> 19 games towards TGP
7 players –> 20 games towards TGP
8 players –> 21 games towards TGP
9-14 players –> 23 games towards TGP
15-16 players –> 24 games towards TGP
17-23 players –> 25 games towards TGP

Best-of-5 Matches (2 players with 1 strike per match)
4 players –> 24 games towards TGP
5 players –> 28 games towards TGP

Best-of-7 Matches (2 players with 1 strike per match)
4 players –> 33 games towards TGP

13 rounds of 4 players in a game in a three strike format interesting, then not sure how they did their calculations because it should be based on being able to do 13, 4 player games to reach the magic number 26.