New Creature From The Black Lagoon custom competition ROM

Delighted to see this. Very delighted.

Any misbehaves, you let me know.

I think setting the snack bar and playground awards to a set order would really solidify CFTBL for tourney play. Agree millions first, then maybe intermission Ramps, then right ramp mode. I forget what all the awards are between the playground and snack bar but uniformity would be sweet.

I installed the patched version to our CFTBL yesterday and we’ve found no issues so far. Great job! :smile:

In addition to the great improvement ideas in this thread, is there any chance of adding a feature (found in many newer WPCs) making it possible to bring up the scores of the last game by pressing both flipper buttons after the game is over?

As it is this game is a b*tch to scorekeep as you have to wait a loooong time for a brief score display time window.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot.

I know this and Doctor Who being poor at showing scores on the attract sequence and I have thought along these line. There is more games I am sure.

It was just secondary to me. Not too many gears in the box at once.

Thanks again.

1 Like

World Cup Soccer 94 is another one, but it gives you a longer look at the scores after the game at least.

that would definitely be great!

Caught the 10B thingy on the phone this morning. Tryed to repeat going by the sequence of events as I remembered it. No luck.

1 Like

I seem to recall that the Doctor Who rom with the tilt bug fix also has the attract scores holding longer, or letting you double flip in attract to get back to the score pane. The forum that rom was developed on is defunct so all the development notes have been lost unfortunately. I suppose it could be reveresed out with a rom comparison to see for sure, or I could just turn on my DW and see (hmmmm… how hard to get to it?).

The score thing is a big thing for tournaments especially if they take a pic of it - some of those early WPC’s were notorious for never showing the score even sometimes during gameplay.

I already have in the works a Big game rom that shows the scores more often instead of the 777777 walking constantly - you have to wake some time sometimes to get the regular scores. 2 competing timers there.

So even though the batteries turned out to be dead in my DW (whoops! No leakage at least) it does appear that you can scroll through the DMD screens like later games let you, unless that always did that and I just never noticed, but IIRC the original software didn’t do that? Am I completely forgetting how it used to work?

This was long ago before I thought of keeping a journal of what has been changed in the roms. Now, I keep all builds and development versions since hard drive space is so cheap now, and if you 7zip them they get tiny anyway. Who would have thought that the forum they were on would have disappeared??

Revisiting the Creatch.

The Move your car bug is rooted in the mode being a two stage thing. First the base value count down. And second the 2x/3x/4x shots. The multiball end is restarting the mode into the stage it was at. The problem is, that when restarting it into stage two, a mode status flag is not set. So, as far as the center lane switch handler is concerned, the mode is not running at all.

The Playground mode is Jets -> Intermission -> Left ramp -> (back to Jets). Player individual. The start mode is selected at random, but with 50% chance of the Left ramp one. 25% either other ones. This oddity could be because Playground was originally planned to have four modes. A tournament play rule could be Left ramp 100%.

The Snack bar. The awards Multiball, Hula hoop and A new car are nevers. It looks like there was also planned a Grand champion bogus award, that was scrapped.

For a tournament play setup it leaves Snack bar with three choices: Millions (Left ramp mode), F/L/M progress and the points ones. A sketch for this…

Before the first multiball is played: M, F or L once. First one needed in that order. If neither is needed, or a letter has already been given, then award a points one (random selection).

After a multiball is played: The first Snack award will always be Millions. After this, points ones (random selection).

The reasoning is a trumph for getting to the first multiball. And Millions being a victory lap for the multiball. Plus there will be some strategy in the risk of saving a lit snack bar for something better later.

Has F-L-I-M been changed to stop awarding sequential bonus, as if you had completed F-I-L-M?

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that it awards sequential bonus as long as the remaining letters you had when starting the ball are collected sequentially. So if you collected L-I on ball 1, you’d still get the sequential award on ball 2 if you went F-M.

If this is the case, then if you collect I-M-L (in that order) on Ball 1, and then collect the remaining F on Ball 2, you get sequential bonus? I’m not certain, but I don’t think that’s the case. Nor should it, imho.

From an immediate investigation.

Making L, then M (for FILM completion) on ball two will give sequential 8M bonus. Even when the ball one efford was I, then F. Assume same when spread over more balls in play.

I-F-L-M on same ball, nix. I, then F-L-M, nix.

Feeling like letting this quirk stay in.

Okay, so it sounds like as long as your letters are sequential for the ball you finish spelling, and you end with M…then you get it?

So if you were left with just the M at the start of a ball, you’d get it no matter what order you had for the first three letters. (Same for L-M…as long as you finished them in that order).

It also works in reverse. M-L-I-F is still sequential.

I-F-L on ball one, and M on ball 2 goes as well. No sure I have the energy to test further ones tonight.

My understanding is the game doesn’t remember the order you got the letters in from ball-to-ball, it basically resets the sequential flag at start-of-ball based on what letters are lit. So if you have the beginning letters lit at start-of-ball (F, F-I, or F-I-L), you can get the sequential bonus, even if you spelled those out of order on the previous ball.

I’ve never seen M-L-I-F work personally, maybe it’s a ROM revision thing?

The left inlane 10M, 20M and 30M indicators. Did they have a purpose in earlier revs that was possibly bugged in L-4?

Or does anyone know, what the intention have been?

As of L-4, they start to flash when Super scoring is started. And go out on a left inlane made. No points.

billede

Should be a bonus for getting FILM in M.I.L.F. and F.L.I.M. sequences.