Pre-pinburgh tournies?

I’m trying to schedule my travel to Pittsburgh for Pinburgh. I’m unsure if I should come early Wednesday in the hopes of playing in anything going on that evening (last year I remember a tourney at the clubhouse and one at a barcade).

The IFPA calendar with map isn’t working so I’m having trouble looking up events there. As an out of towner, can a local pittsburghian help me to find a good event Wednesday evening?

We’re finalizing the list, but it will involve multiple Wednesday tournaments.

I can confirm (as one of the people running it) that the Kickback Weekly (at Kickback Pinball Cafe) will go on as planned, with a player cap of 40-50.

4 Likes

First come, first served or online signup 10-second frenzy?

3 Likes

@Richthofen

Pretty sure the clubhouse pin-golf tournament is a regular pre-pinburgh event. However, it starts during the day. I’ve played in it twice. Probably the most difficult pin-golf goals I’ve ever experienced.

But the clubhouse I heard closed? that’s why I am confused, I don’t really know the ‘single source of truth’ for these events, or what time, or how to sign up. I would hate to schedule an early flight hoping to play in one only to find its sold out and I could have taken a later flight?

@Richthofen

oh wow. that’s news to me. Sorry for giving you bad info if that’s true. Sad. That place was awesome.

There is a new clubhouse in the works, but I have zero information about when it will be open, or whether they will host any pre tournaments.

1 Like

The old clubhouse is now the IronWorks Gym. I haven’t heard anything definite on the new site yet.

That is still being determined if we’re going to do pre-reg or day of the tournament frenzy.

That’s a major part of the TBD. I’m not involved with the new clubhouse process so I can’t predict anything. If they don’t, there may be something at another location. I’ll try to keep you updated!

1 Like

Actually, the older IronWorks Gym became the old clubhouse. The “Whatever It Takes” motto on the wall was a relic from that gym.

Here is the Facebook page for the Kickback tourney:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1023711064450136/

There is still discussion about an event at the new clubhouse, but as I have retired from running pre ReplayFX tourneys, that is all I can tell you.

#Whateverittakes

2 Likes

I believe there will be an event at the new clubhouse, but I’m also not officially involved with that. I know that people want to do it.

The new clubhouse is a few miles north of the city and involves a lot of stairs between the door and the pinball, so it’s not as accessible as the old place. :frowning: (Kickback also has stairs fwiw…)

If you end up in town Wednesday with no tournament plans you might want to check out Trixie’s Gameroom or Victory Pointe on the South Side!

2 Likes

There will be two official Pre-Pinburgh tournaments, both will be announced this week.

6 Likes

Thanks Doug. Is the best place to check this forum? Or is there a club webpage or group to check out?

Looking forward to ReplayFX and Pinburgh!

Both events will be posted to PAPA’s facebook account.

2 Likes

Any update on these tournaments? I haven’t noticed anything posted. Thanks!

1 Like
1 Like

Oh man… I fly in at 2:15 that day and have to check into the hotel. Not sure if I’ll have time to make it in time for qualifying :frowning: I’ll try my hardest to be there though!

Bah, the hotel will probably save your room :smiley:
30min from the airport even at rush hour. There’s also a tournament at Kickback Pinball Cafe which starts a bit later, but you need to sign up as attendance will be capped there.

2 Likes

Got address but couldn’t see the rest, fb details not public.

Huh, Facebook says it’s public:

Date: Wed July 25, from 9am-10pm
Location: Pittsburgh Pinball Dojo, 2 N Balph St, Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Notes: Location is on 2nd floor with only access via stairs. Food options exist nearby: deli, two pizza shops, two diners, two coffee shops, one of the two best bakeries in Pittsburgh all within a 2 block radius. CVS pharmacy, and grocery store also in the neighborhood. Inexpensive street parking until 6pm (free after) and free street parking available with a 1-2 block walk.

Format and details:
Qualifying starts at 9am and ends at 5pm. Finals start promptly at 5:30pm. Cost for 1 round of Pingolf is $10. There is a $10 fee to enter the facility, which also covers the IFPA tournament fee. All machines are on free play. You may pay to play the course multiple times. Only your best course score counts.

Players can arrive anytime during the qualifying period, and will be placed in a group of 2-4 players to play each of the 9 machines representing holes on the PinGolf course. Each player plays for the target (score or objective) indicated on the machine. The number of balls played to reach the target will be counted as strokes in a golf game. Players that don’t complete the objective receive a score of 1+ the #-balls played. To keep the tournament moving, as soon as players reach the target they will drain and record their score, and plunge off any remaining balls.

Incomplete entries at 5pm will receive the max value for each unplayed hole. Finals will start promptly at 5:30pm. Finals will be Match Play format with PinGolf scoring. After qualifying the top 14 players will be placed in the A division playoffs. The top 2 seeds will receive a bye to the semifinals.

Quarterfinals: The remaining 12 players will play in groups of 4 (Seeds 3-8-9-14, 4-7-10-13, 5-6-11-12). The top seeds of each group will get choice of playing a bank of 3 machines (choosing holes 1-3, 4-6, or 7-9). Once a bank is chosen it’s not available fo the remaining groups. Each group will play their three holes PinGolf style with the two lowest scores of each group moving on. The holes will be played in order. The players will choose their position of play based on seed.

Semifinals: The 6 players that advanced from the first round will join the top two seeds. in two groups of 4 with reseeding based on their original seed (1-4-5-8, 2-3-6-7). Bank choice and play will be done in the same way as the first round.

Finals: The remaining four players will play a final round on a bank of 3 machines. Bank choice and play will be done in the same way as the earlier rounds.

Ties in any round will be played on a tiebreaker machine where score is the determining factor.

B Division: The next 14 players with an IFPA ranking that is not 1-999 will be placed in the B Division. B Division playoffs will be the same format as A division.

Payouts will be determined by number of entries. 100% of entry fees will be paid out in prizes.

For other rulings, IFPA / PAPA rules apply.