Star Trek Wiki

As for Instant info, yes it is unfinished.

What each completed crew combo does, is award 1M, and increase the out-of-mission combo shot values.
0-1 crew combos completed: 2-way combo is 125 (k), 3-way combo is 150, etc and it caps at 250 for 7-way or more.
2 crew combos completed: 2-way combo is 150, 3-way combo is 175, etc and still caps at 250 for 6-way or more.
etc all the way up to 5 crew combos completed where 2-way is 225, and 3-way or more is 250.

An example:
You have completed Kirk and Uhura. Now you do the Alpha ramp, the Right loop (in time for combo) and the Beta ramp (in time for combo).

This is a 3-way combo. A normal 3-way combo, with 2 crew members completed, would be 175. But this also completes Sulu (never mind the leading alpha ramp), so it is calculated as a 3-way combo with 3 crew members, which is 200. And then the 1M award. The screen shows SULU COMBO and 1.200.000, if there is nothing else going on.

As for Kirk and Spock, the display seems to just show 250.000 but it works the same.

2 Likes

I’m working on a revision based on the great info here as well as Farsight’s instructions in the Stern Pinball Arcade and a little bit of experience. I am posting it down here for critique instead of overwriting anything at this point. My focus is gameplay and not scoring or tips and tricks. I have not included Enterprise Amok, Five Year Mission, or the secret combos yet.

Level One Modes
Destroy the Drill
The 4 leftmost shots light. 30-second timer.
If no mode shots are made, one shot is added every 4 seconds, spreading to the right. Shooting a lit shot reverses the spread by 1 shot.
Final shot is 4x at the left eject hole.
Bronze – 3 shots, Silver – 6 shots, Gold – 9 shots.
Away Team : Left eject hole and left orbit only are lit; spinner is valued at 75k per spin.

Klingon Battle
Only 5 shots light (all except left eject hole & Vengeance). 30-second timer.
Shooting a lit shot moves it to an unlit shot.
Final shot is 4x at the left ramp.
Bronze – 3 shots, Silver – 6 shots, Gold – 9 shots
Away Team : Left & right ramps only are lit; must alternate after first shot.

Prime Directive
All 7 shots light. 30-second timer.
Making 5 different shots relights all shots.
Final shot is doubled at right ramp.
Away Team : Lights top rollovers to turn off plus orbits

Space Jump
Only 4 shots (orbits, left & right ramps) light. 30-second timer.
After making a shot, only two will remain lit for 6 seconds, then two more relight if a mode shot is not hit.
Final shot is doubled at the Vengeance.
Away Team : Lights Vengeance target to end mode. Making this final shot earns one medal higher if not at gold.

Save the Enterprise
Only 3 adjacent shots light. 30-second timer.
Shoot any to move to three new adjacent shots.
Final shot is 4x at both orbits.
Away Team : Lights warp ramp & left orbit.

Nero
Only 5 shots light (all except left eject hole & warp ramp). 30-second timer.
Shoot all five shots to relight. Final shot is doubled at Black Hole target.
Away Team : Changes mode shots to the 5 red matter standup targets and Black Hole.

Warp Ramp Awards

By default:
Warp 4 (or 7) = Lights Extra Ball
Warp 9.1 (the 10th warp) = double scoring for 60 seconds
Warp 9.9 (the 18th warp) = Doubles scoring for 60 seconds and ball added but you continue in single ball play
Warp values carry from ball-to-ball for the entire game.

Multiballs

The black hole shot to the right of Vengeance will add a ball once during multiball when it is lit. Light it by shooting the ‘red matter’ targets around the play field that you’ve ultimately hit plenty of times cause you’re bad and you missed the ramps and loops.

Klingon Multiball
The 3 green standups light locks at Vengeance and/or left scoop. Lock 3 balls to start Klingon multiball. All shots start out lit for jackpots. Once a shot has been hit twice, the corresponding ship on screen is destroyed and that shot unlights. The 7th jackpot is a Super Jackpot worth 6.25M. The 14th (final) jackpot is another Super Jackpot worth 10M. This is followed by one roving shot worth 4M. Finally, the warp ramp will light for a Double Super Jackpot worth 20M. Completing this shot will earn a single gold medal. Then the mode restarts.

Vengeance Multiball
The first Vengeance mode is “Vengeance Multiball.” This is activated by hitting the Vengeance shot when the target is down and the arrow is white. The ball will be caught by a magnet, and a second ball will be auto-launched. Hit the magnet-held ball under the Vengeance ship at the start to add a ball and extend ball save time. Shots to Vengeance and lit white shots do damage and award points. Defeating Vengeance by completing enough shots and then hitting the Vengeance shot awards 5M multiplied by combo and/or 2x scoring. After defeating the Vengeance, multiball will continue with victory laps in which the goal is to make all seven major shots over and over.

Kobayashi Maru – Level 1 Mini-Wizard Mode
Once all level one modes have been completed, the Vengeance shot will light white for Kobayashi Maru. Starting KM will immediately award you medal bonuses based on medals collected so far (see below). This begins as a 2-ball multiball with all shots lit except the Warp ramp. Each shot requires 2 hits to clear it out – the first shot is nominal points (250K?), the second shot is based on your performance in the corresponding level 1 mode (arrow color tells you which mode). Clearing them all out allows you to continue in single ball play even though you have more than one ball active on the playfield. Shots in this mode max at 7.5M.
The medal bonus awarded for starting the mode is as follows:
Set of 6 Bronze medals = 10M. Otherwise, each bronze is worth 1M up to a set.
Set of 6 Silver medals = 20M. Otherwise, each silver is 2M up to a set.
Set of 6 Gold medals = 35M. Otherwise, each gold is 3.5M up to a set.

Three-in-a-Row Awards

There are nine different awards for completing sets of three modes:

Destroy the Drill – Klingon Battle – Prime Directive = Super Pops (100 hits)
Prime Directive – Space Jump – Save the Enterprise = Super Ramps (8 shots)
Save the Enterprise – Nero – Destroy the Drill = Super Spinner (100 spins)

All 3 Destroy the Drill = 2x Warp ramp
All 3 Klingon Battle = 2x left ramp
All 3 Prime Directive = 2x left eject hole
All 3 Space Jump = 2x right orbit
All 3 Save the Enterprise = 2x right ramp
All 3 Nero = 2x left orbit

Advanced Modes

Nero
Level II
Only 6 shots light (all except the Warp ramp); these shots are paired, and every left shot is 2x (eject hole and ramps).
This mode is not timed.
Hitting a lit shot unlights the pair. After completing all 3 pairs, all 6 shots relight. If a mode shot is not hit for ? seconds, one pair will relight. After completing all 3 pairs 3 times (or 9 shots), only the left ramp and Vengeance shots light.
Complete 10 shots to finish the mode.
Bronze – any 3 shots, Silver – 3 2x shots, Gold – 5 2x shots

Level III
Only 2 shots (the orbits) light.
55-second timer.
Flipping the left flipper will move the left orbit shot one shot to the right every flip, looping back around to the far left. Flipping the right flipper will move the right orbit shot one shot to the left every flip, looping back around to the far right. The mode shot will be 2x only when both shots overlap at the same shot.
Compete 5 shots to finish the mode. If the timer ends, progress will be saved.
Bronze – 1 2x shot, Silver – 2 2x shots, Gold – 3 2x shots

Save the Enterprise
Level II
Only 2 random shots light; one shot is 2x.
This mode is not timed.
Hitting a shot unlights both and lights 2 new random shots.
Complete 6 shots to finish the mode.

Level III
Only 1 random shot lights.
This mode is not timed.
Hitting the lit shot lights a different random shot and lights the Warp ramp for a 2x shot. The Warp ramp remains lit until hit. Once hit, another mode shot must be made to relight.
Complete 8 shots to finish the mode.

Destroy the Drill
Level II
Only 1 shot (left eject hole) lights at the beginning.
This mode is not timed.
Shots will light one at a time moving left to right until all shots are lit; the leading shot will flash for 2x. Once all shots are lit, they will unlight one at a time moving left to right until only the right orbit remains. Then shots will light one at a time moving right to left until all shots are lit. Finally, shots will unlight one at a time moving right to left until only the left eject hole remains. This pattern will repeat. Shots that have been made will light solid and will not light for 2x; mode shots still available will be flashing.
Complete 6 different shots to finish the mode.

Level III
Only 3 shots (left eject hole, Vengeance, and right orbit) light at the beginning with the Vengeance shot flashing for 2x.
55-second timer.
During the mode, a fourth shot will rove back and forth starting from the Vengeance. When it overlaps one of the other three shots, that shot is 2x.
Complete 7 shots to finish the mode. If the timer ends, progress will be saved.

Klingon Battle
Level II
Only 1 shot (left ramp) lights at the beginning, for 2x.
This mode is not timed.
Every 2 seconds, mode shots will be added in the following pattern with the 2x shot moving as indicated: Vengeance & Warp ramp (2x), left loop & right ramp (2x), left eject hole & right loop (2x). Hitting a mode shot will reset the shots to only the left ramp.
Complete 6 shots to finish the mode.

Level III
Only 1 random shot lights, for 2x.
45-second timer.
If a mode shot is not hit for 5 seconds, an additional shot will light, up to 3 total lit shots. Only one shot will be flashing for 2x.
Complete 8 shots to finish the mode. If the timer ends, progress will be saved.
Bronze – 2 2x shots, Silver – 3 2x shots, Gold – 5 2x shots

Prime Directive
Level II
All 7 shots light.
30-second timer.
Left ramp shot begins with alternating colors for 2x shot. Completing this shot will move the 2x shot to another remaining shot.
Complete all 7 shots to finish the mode. If timer ends, progress will be saved.

Level III
All 7 shots light.
30-second timer.
Left ramp shot begins with alternating colors for 2x shot. Completing this shot will move the 2x shot to another remaining shot.
Complete all 7 shots to finish the mode. If timer ends, progress will be saved.
Bronze – 2 2x shots, Silver – 3 2x shots, Gold – 5 2x shots

Space Jump
Level II
Only 4 shots (orbits, left & right ramps) light.
30-second timer.
After making a shot, only two will remain lit for 6 seconds, then two more relight. One of the two shots will be flashing for 2x.

Level III
Only 2 shots (left & right ramps) light.
30-second timer.
Shooting a ramp will light the opposite orbit and the Warp ramp, which will be flashing for 2x. Shooting the lit orbit relights one ramp; shooting the Warp ramp relights both ramps.
Complete 8 shots to finish the mode. If the timer ends, progress will be saved.

Here are some of the missing pieces, with an updated version of Vengeance Multiball:

Advanced Multiballs

Enterprise Amok
Once all level two modes have been completed, the Vengeance shot will light white for Enterprise Amok. Starting Enterprise Amok will immediately award you medal bonuses based on all medals collected so far. This begins as a 2-ball multiball with all shots lit and a switch hit counter on the display. Completing the number of switch hits required will add a ball into play (except for the 6th and final round) and light all shots white for a final shot. The next shot hit will then be unlit for future final shots in the mode and will start a new higher switch hit requirement. After completing the 6th and final round, the Vengeance shot will be lit for a Super Jackpot. Completing this final shot allows you to continue in single ball play even though you have more than one ball active on the playfield.

Five Year Mission
Once all level three modes have been completed, the Vengeance shot will light white for Five Year Mission. Starting Five Year Mission will immediately award you medal bonuses based on all medals collected so far. This begins as a 4-ball multiball with all shots lit and…

Vengeance Modes
Hitting the Vengeance drop down target or lane underneath the ship or firing photon torpedoes will advance toward a Vengeance mode. The three modes always occur in order and repeat after playing the third mode. If a Vengeance mode is lit when the ball drains, a new mission cannot be selected before the plunge on the next ball and will have to be started by shooting the left eject hole or the Away Team shot.
Photon torpedoes can be earned by lighting all three orange spot targets on the right side just below the upper flipper. Lighting the targets grants three torpedoes, and up to eight can be amassed at one time. Press the Fire button on the lockdown bar to use a photon torpedo against the Vengeance. If a Vengeance mode is already lit, no more torpedoes can be used until the mode starts.

Vengeance Multiball

The first Vengeance mode is Vengeance Multiball. This is lit by hitting the Vengeance shot 5 times (the first time); credit toward these hits will also be given for each photon torpedo fired (see Vengeance Modes below). To start the multiball, shoot the Vengeance when the target is down and the arrow is white. The ball will be caught by a magnet, and a second ball will be auto-launched. Hit the magnet-held ball under the Vengeance ship within 15 seconds to add a ball and extend ball save time. Shots to the Vengeance and lit white shots do damage and award points. Defeating the Vengeance by completing 10 white shots and then hitting the Vengeance shot awards 5M multiplied by combo and/or 2x scoring. Photon torpedoes can be used toward destroying the Vengeance but will not count as the final shot. After defeating the Vengeance, multiball will continue with victory laps in which the goal is to complete all seven major shots over and over.

Vengeance Scoring
This second Vengeance mode lights after any combination of 6 hits (the first time) to the Vengeance and photon torpedoes fired. To start the mode, shoot under the Vengeance when lit white. The mode consists of 5 hurry-up shots, all at the Vengeance. Each shot will be quickly thrust back toward the flippers. Completing all 5 hurry-ups grants an extra ball.

Vengeance Battle
This third Vengeance mode lights after any combination of 7 hits to the Vengeance and torpedoes fired. To start the mode, shoot under the Vengeance when lit white. Then five more shots under the Vengeance are required before entering into Sudden Death. In Sudden Death, the drop target will be raised. Shoot the target and then under the Vengeance within 6 seconds to finish the mode; otherwise the target will reset. The reward is the greater of 10M or 10% of your total score, times any combo or 2x scoring multiplier. This mode will only end if completed or if the ball drains after starting Sudden Death.

Curious about the Tier 1 mode final shots. Some are 2x and some are 4x? Is the combo scoring causing the jump from 2x to 4x? Or does that mean an 8x collect is possible with a combo?

Also a curiosity- does shooting away team count as a shot? I’ve started space jump, shot 5 shots, away team (get silver medal display), then vengeance for gold

Good stuff. I noticed that Nero III says “5 shots”, but it is actually 10. You can get credit for two shots at once if you align the inserts.

1 Like

I can probably make contributions here, especially about Galactic Away Team modes and how to play them. But first I need to know: Does Farsight’s Pinball Arcade actually have game code version 1.62? If not, my observations are irrelevant.
The game instructions in Pinball Arcade are obviously way older. Everything there needs to be confirmed with actual play.

Give me a way to check this is actually version 1.62, and I will get back with a lot, I promise. How can I with play distinguish between 1.61 and 1.62?

Yes.

According to Stern’s “read me,” 1.62 basically makes a few fixes and does not change game play in any significant way. So other than oversights in programming, the Stern Pinball Arcade version should be up to date.

Stern Pinball Arcade instructions say that most Away Team shots will progress the shot count toward medals. Just venturing a guess here, but if the right orbit is lit for a mode shot then that might be when a shot is credited.

Stern Pinball Arcade shows 5 shots left for Nero III, but this could be an error… Mode is complete after any 5 mode shots.

In Pinball Arcade, whichever version that is, there seem to have quite a lot of bugs. Just as an example, if you start Space Jump, make just 1 mode shot, then the GAT shot, then the (Galactic) Vengeance, it awards a Silver medal, BUT NO Bronze medal. This cannot be their intention. Or can it?

Other examples: Save The Enterprise II and III can only be ended by completion. Intentional?
Few other modes behaves like this, and the Readme file describes bugfixes mentioning those other modes. My guess would be: not intentional.

It is not possible to say 100% what the rules should be. It is a matter of opinion. Unless you are an insider of course.

So, what I can do is to describe in detail how the version in Pinball Arcade works, whatever that version is, but I won’t bother unless I know the version I am playing is the current, i.e. 1.62.
The Readme file from Stern doesn’t help all the way. Please help.

I’m nearly certain that’s not how it works on the actual machine. Nero III should be between 5 and 10 shots, depending on how many times you double up. Can anyone back me up?

The final shots indicated as 4x are worth 4x the current mode shot value. This point value will be displayed right before the mode total after making a final shot. Presumably you could combo this shot and have double scoring running for 16x!

I think you’re wrong. Nero II has 10ish shots. Nero III always only has 5. Hitting a doubled shot only doubles the value, it does not advance the mode faster.

Is it likely that Stern would update the software again, if a decent bug list were given to them?

Correct

1 Like

I believe the final shot for all modes does not light until combos time out, so you can’t actually combo into it. Could be wrong.

No, it doesn’t work like that.

As for Level 1, it is just tricky to combo into the last shot because of how it works. You need to make the next-to-last shot just before the timer ends, and in a way that opens the correct combo for last.
Try to play Destroy The Drill I with a lot of shots, then cradle up, and when there is 1-2 seconds left on the timer, shoot the Beta ramp and combo into the scoop. You will be surprised. That is one of the worthwhile shots on Level 1.
Just make sure you don’t get a medal on the Beta ramp, because then you also get more time.

Interesting. I stand corrected.