The New Pinball Dictionary

Derp Catch

When you attempt a drop catch and the ball hits the lane guide or has too much spin and makes a beeline for the drain.

6 Likes

I’ve always heard this referred to as a “breakout”.

Another reason why pump and dump needs to die a horrible death.

3 Likes

I know what you’re describing as cat paw. We call it a flutter catch =)

We call that a cliffhanger drain =)

Hello-

I suggest the term “cliffhanger drain” for when you’re trying to cradle a ball that has just a LITTLE too much to stop, or not enough to rollover pass, and goes down the center drain right before your eyes.

We have a couple guys doing a “flutter catch”. They do the slightest flip before a live catch and it calms the ball just right to control it. Someone here called it cat paw, but they’re description was better :+1:

The Thing

That one thing you want to do on a game for all the cheddar. Super Jackpot? Playfield Multiplier? Max Bonus? Depends on the game, but just about every game has a thing.

3 Likes

From another thread @CFFLegs had a great suggestion. Those that brag about sandbagging. “Sandbragging”. :+1:

3 Likes

Wanna-B

A player at Pinburgh who sandbags to avoid getting into A division, presumably because they don’t think they’d fare well there on day 2 and want to win some money against lesser opposition in B.

2 Likes

Beef

To brick a shot… deliciously.

1 Like

“Cradle to the Grave” seems like it would apply to any drain that was immediately preceeded by a cradle. i.e. - gain control, take a deep breath, brick that multiball start off the post and straight to the outlane.

1 Like

Don’t know if there’s a term for this already, but I’m watching the Sanctum stream and in the past five minutes I have seen three slap saves that ended up going to the perfect shot that they wanted on the game.
Slap Shot?

1 Like

For me, it’s hard to think of anything else when talking about Slap Shot.

2 Likes

I wish I played it more than I do when I’m there :slight_smile:

We just got a new motor in it! Darn thing was hard to track down, and expensive!

Also it’s hard to not want to play all the pinball.

Now I know @FunWithBonus’s favorite nominations have a video reference. This one courtesy of @keefer commenting on a @PressStart strategy decision during the Pinburgh 2014 finals.

Rage-Starting: Choosing to play first out of frustration from losing the prior game played.

8 Likes

This came up during the SPL finals:

Direct Deposit:
When a kicker kicks a ball directly into the outlane, without any recourse to save it. See: Flash Gordon

1 Like

Nice. I like this. I will use it in a sentence:

I just hate when a scoop on Paragon makes a direct deposit to the Beast Layer!

1 Like

Lol, I wasn’t rage starting, I remember this specifically cause Kevin came up to me and was like Adam your first on EBD.

I was like I lost BSD, don’t I get to choose order first and Kevin said, nope seed has choice. I knew it felt weird, but I was like, oooook, guess I’m going first…

Only to find out after the game that Kevin had made a mistake and the last thing I wanted was to go first. For subsequent games I got to choose my correct order :slight_smile:

1 Like

DOH!!

Although, I think we can all agree that rage-starting is a thing. I know I’ve seen it in Pinburgh constantly.

2 Likes