The New Pinball Dictionary

I love this term, but now I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be better to describe a missed shot that hits some other shot? Like missing the chair on Addams Family wide to the left, and having it bounce into the pops, and then back into the chair. Or a missed TZ lock shot that brickochets into the piano scoop.

8 Likes

When I read this I imagined it sounded like when “Dirty Harry” says ricochet:
“brrrrickochet!” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use brickochet in a sentence. OK. “While playing Deadpool, the player shot the center spinner and brickocheted the Snikt target into double scoring”. :wink:

Oh yeah I like this better.

I’d bifurcate this. “Brickochet” would include both the “ricochet” and the “brick” elements, but neither word inherently implies anything about where the ball went when it ricocheted, which could be good, bad or just out of control. Brickodrain, or something like that if one of you finds a better amalgam, would be the ball loss rebound. Luckochet would be something like the missed spinner into the Snikt mentioned above. The more generic out-of-control results would be covered by the broader but not-drain-specific brickochet term.

Back in the '70’s, we called lucky rebounds like the Snikt one “sleezing.”

"Beast to the East"

On Paragon when you escape the Beast’s Lair, but the pop sends the ball directly to the right outlane.

5 Likes

I would call that a . . .

“Not Like This . . . or That”

6 Likes

A much simpler way to call it, I guess. :grinning:

1 Like

Adamball

Definition: a ball is plunged into play, hits minimal switches (sometimes none), then centre drains or drains through an outlane. This occurs after ball save has ended, and definately happens on a machine without any ball save.

When this happens, the player at the machine calls out “Adamball” then others in on the joke echo the call out of “Adamball”. Best said in a tone similar to someone about to cannonball into a pool: “Cannon-ball”

Final Destination: When you pull off an amazing save, only to experience a swift and irretrievable death with the ball’s next action.

3 Likes

That drain was … inevitable.

Johannes’d - . You up 3bil on BSD and lose. You have been Johannes’d.

1 Like

One that kinda hit me particularly hard today and kinda rears its ugly head more than I would like to…

Multiple Pinball Personality Disorder - The most likely explanation for why your actual tourney performance was lackluster when just an hour ago before it started, you were rocking and putting up GCs on games, going into the tournament all but confident you had a shot at winning it. Then your other persona rears its head in at the exact moment you don’t want it to. Every bounce, brick, and misnudge works against you almost as if you were in the middle of karma realignment. And then of course, when it ends, you start putting up the scores again you with you had just an hour ago.

Joey hop:

While trying to do a drop catch, when the ball hits the base of the flipper and jumps over the tip of the same flipper SDTM

So over this past weekend at INDISC I realized something that I do is something a lot of people do while watching other players and asking around. I talked to Steve as well to see if it was already in the pinball dictionary but the closest thing was the “Danger Zone” which you can read the full description of here but is essentially the moment of time immediately after an aggressive save when everyone is watching the screen flash “DANGER”, “DANGER DANGER”, and wondering if the machine will tilt or be safe.

The move I saw was people flipping their flippers after a big move. I talked to Steve about this and he came up with “checking for pulse” or “checking the pulse” which I think works well!

7 Likes

I always referred to this as simply “Just checking…” but I like your definition!

“Check flip” like a check swing in baseball?

This actually helps too on games that:

• Don’t turn off the GI on a tilt.
  • Are too quiet to hear the tilt warning (presuming the game has tilt warnings).

Free Parking

1 Like

Is there a limit on characters for the definition? :innocent:

Fan layout:
Generally a layout with only two flippers, where all shots from those flippers form a fan pattern across the playfield, resulting mostly returning the ball to the flippers via a ramp inlane return or an orbit return (Medeveal Madness, Attack From Mars, and Monster Bash are classic examples of a fan layout).
Some games with more than two flippers may still be considered a fan layout, or “fan-nish”. These games include, but are not limited to, No Fear, The Hobbit, and Starship Troopers.
Furthermore, some games that have only two flippers can be considered a non-fan layout by putting the ball on a path that is not consistent with traditional fan layouts. These games include, but are not limited to, Deadpool and Original Avengers.

2 Likes