When is a match "over"?

No. I’m 100% certain that the player won, so they win.

1 Like

If this is the case, then why would they get a 0 if they were player 1, had a great ball, and then after their ball was over slam tilted. Why not just give player 2 their comp ball and see if they can beat them?

Another situation – if they were player 2 in a 4 player group and had passed player 1 when it happened would you say they beat player one?

The action of slam tilting while still at the machine should supersede the score.

2 Likes

Beat solution. Don’t slam tilt people! We have so many heated discussions about weird scenarios when a lot boils down to we need players to pay attention, be kind and don’t do stupid things :smile:

7 Likes

If you look at the slam tilt = 0 rule as an anti-abuse rule, then it is absolutely correct to DQ someone on that game, even if it’s in the bag. Since, TYPICALLY, you don’t want to infer player intent (i.e. was it “bad abuse” or “good, celebratory abuse,” whatever that is), it needs to be consistently ruled as a Bad Thing.

If someone had a walkoff ball 3, you ALWAYS see them plunge it, no one ever walks up to the game and slams it instead. It’s an abusive, shitty move.

5 Likes

Are we talking about the time I lost to a bye because of a slamtilt? I was in a three player group in a matchplay tournament, so we were all guaranteed at least a point, but I got a phantom slam tilt, the rules said slam tilt = DQ for the round, so the bye got 1 point and I got 0.

Also, as @keefer said, I see anti-slamtilt rules as preventing abuse. If a player in a tournament I’m running slamtilts a machine, I don’t want to reinforce that behavior. There are, I think, situations where it’s smart to treat a slamtilt as a malfunction (Belsito’s LAH looked a lot like what happened to me in the anecdote above), but I think it’s much more likely that the person saying “I didn’t even touch it!!!” was being overaggressive in most situations.

I think a slamtilt is also a situation in which any saying of “you got it” or concession by your opponent is voided. The anti-slamtilt rule supersedes the “if you say ‘you got it’ it’s over” rule in my mind.

There are other situations where the match outcome is not necessarily a sure thing…your opponent could bet billions on roulette in Who Dunnit? and lose, or have the game in bonus that never gets added to their score a la Fish Tales. I’d say that’s part of why convention is to get to a score that is confirmedly higher than your opponents, then drain. Don’t rely on bonus, don’t keep playing if there’s the potential to lose points.

1 Like

Game hasn’t been decided imo. P1 DQed like normal.

In this hypothetical P2 has won and accidental slam tilts while celebrating. Imo, the game is over once their score read higher than P1. Everything that happened after that doesn’t matter to me.

Nope. The game wasn’t over because two players still left to play.

I agree in almost every case but this one or if it happened because of game malfunction.

1 Like

The absurdity of this situation as described is not to be believed. Avatar related, indeed.

I know in Pinburgh, it’s written as player will receive a pinball score of 0, so if 2 people get DQd, there’s a playoff to break the tie, and one of the zero-scores will get a win. That fact that a bye is placed above a person is ultimate wat.

Sorry that happened to you.

1 Like

This is hilarious, but it was a celebratory kick to the coin door. Maybe Noah Davis did this? Dangit.

Ok… so, in your opinion, can player 4 ever slam tilt on ball 3? If they had passed players 1 and 2, but not player 3 when they slam tilted, would you give them second place on that game?

Playing last should not make you immune from a rule that applies to everyone else.

3 Likes

And why isn’t it common practise to disable slam tilt switches in (high level) competition? It baffles me.

The get-out-of-jail card alone, as a TD, to able to treat any slam tilt as a malfunction ought to be pretty convincing. That and scratching off a couple of collusion scenarios possible.

In my experience, it is quite often infact a malfunction. Or at least gray area, with tired and damaged switches. Those normally closed slams on old Gottliebs. Oh, no thanks.

4 Likes

Absolutely not. This is a VERY special case where the last player to play on the game on their final ball was seen overcoming ALL other players with verification that their score was higher than ALL other players. In their excitement they accidentally slam tilted the game. Instead of ruling extremely black and white in this extreme edge case, I would choose to still award them the win.

In almost every other case of a slam tilt, I would DQ the player.

2 Likes

Roulette is lit for a loss on Who Dunnit and the player has no idea about the rules of the game . . . still guaranteed the win at that point? :wink:

2 Likes

The question is does the last player’s turn end as soon as they have clinched the win? In my opinion, no, for the sake of consistency. As long as the game indicates that player 4 is up, they are subject to the slam tilt DQ rules.

If player 4 slam tilts after the game is over back in attract mode, that should not affect the score right (but still subject to player conduct rules)?

I guess then there is the question of what happens if player 4 slam tilts during the end game effects, like match. Is that “in game” or not?

1 Like

I have no idea what that means. Sounds like Who Dunnit is not a good tournament game.

Imo absolutely yes. Also, remember in this hypothetical this person did this on accident in a moment of celebration. I do not consider that abuse.

Just like if they accidentally kicked the plug out of the wall after clinching the win. If we can verify the scores/placement of the players with 100% certainty, then I’m giving that player the win.

You can actually lose points in whodunnit if you lose a roulette bet. However, the player has the option to pass and not risk losing anything.

So, P4 takes the lead, shoots roulette, bets and loses, and is no longer in the lead. Did they win the match?

And yes, W?D isn’t a good tourney game but it has been used in the past.

If this happened then the slam tilt occurred after this point loss so no. They have less points than the other player.

In tournament mode W?D is a great tournament game. Roulette is set to always lose your first bet, then win, then lose, etc. Also free spins are in a set (non-random) order. The order of clues might not be the same for all players (not sure on this one) but in general the game is pretty fairly balanced for tournament play (and extremely fun!)

This is a pretty close one. I think in the situation where all of the following apply:

• last player, last ball (no “bonus balls” or other such oddities are possibly in play)
  • the slam tilt was observed by a TD and clearly unintentional (no abuse in play)
  • all players’ scores were recoverable after the slam (no concerns about inability to record or verify scores)

…I would be inclined to waive the slam tilt penalty, perhaps with a yellow card to the player. I think this interpretation would be a “no harm, no foul” philosophy in line with, for example, the oft-practiced policy of not enforcing the tilt-through penalty on games where the zero point ball saver overrides the tilt, like classic Sterns.

5 Likes